Thursday, December 7, 2006

Oliebollen - Indian Style

OK ... its Sinterklass time and we have all those good Dutch things to buy and eat. One of the things that is a hit during these winter months is Oliebollen (lit. Oil balls). I decided to make those sometime at home. On consulting one of the Dutchmen, I was informed that Oliebollen mix is readily available in supermarkets and everybody in Holland uses those. Great I said.

Bought a packet of the mixture which said that only water needs to be added. Fried the first olie bol ... tasted it ... something was not right. The chef inside me told that the mixture consistency was not OK (It was too thin). At the same time the taste reminded me of meethe pakode that my mom used to make during some festival time at home.

I was also looking for a starter to be made for our meeting tomorrow. I decided to make meethe pakode using the Oliebollen mixture that is readily available. I called this dish Desi Oliebollen. Check out the its recipe.

This (see photo) mixture was purchased from Albert Heijn and costed a mere € 1.49. The packet contained 1 kg of Oliebollen flour.

No comments: